Saturday 16 February 2013

Spring Summer '13 ~ Favourite Catwalk Looks.

I could literally talk about almost all the SS13 collections which were premiered late last year, but instead of talking generally about my favourites from the Ready to Wear collections I thought instead I would just choose out my favourite specific ensembles. Some of these represent collections I adore, some of which are isolated preferences. There were a ton of looks that were objectively interesting but I've chosen things that personally appealed. This won't be the one post about this topic, very soon there will be another post about finding affordable alternative to catwalk looks, which will feature other collections and ensembles I love!

 Dior - The Blazer Dress
 I felt some of Dior was a bit underwhelming (am I allowed to say that?). I didn't really enjoy their use of iridescent fabrics, which I usually love the look of, but did not like how they layered them over garments that didn't really need it, although their dresses at the end were alright. I did however really like their new take on the blazer; the blazer dress. There were a few different shapes but this is my favourite one.

 Carven - Cut Out Toile Print Dress
I'm on the fence about Carven's '13 offerings. Some of the cut out features worked well, adding edge to an otherwise well tailored but simple design. Other times it didn't reallly seem to flow well. And this dress I think is a bit too busy.

 Gareth Pugh - Matrix meets Firely
Oh Gareth Pugh, you have drawn out my inner Sci-Fi girl and made her very happy. Seriously, look through all of this collection if you like Matrix and/or Firefly and Serenity. This is the dystopian future! I also loved the makeup and hair; red eyes plus parallel horizontal chopsticks.

 Balenciaga - Monochrome Ruffles
This is an example of something I wouldn't wear, but where I like the individual elements. Two tone ruffles seem like a really cool way of getting both the monochrome and the ruffle trend in one fell, fashionable swoop. And that gorgeous neckline. When neither of these features were present in the clothing of the collection I wasn't too interested, but gosh, that neckline.

 Haider Ackermann - Effortlessly Cool Kimono
I want to stroke all the clothes. All that satin on bare skin looks cool and probably feels awesome too. Is that weird? Probably. Either way, sophisticated and calm, I liked this collection. I don't think I'm cool enough to pull off a kimono but anyone who can, do it! 'Cause it looks awesome.
 

 Jean-Paul Gaultier - '80s Icons
It's interesting to such a strong influence so evident within a collection, especially when that influence is specific people. I especially enjoyed the Madonna and Boy George looks. I want a cage waist cincher please.

 Jonathan Saunders - HOLOGRAPHIC STRIPES!
Okay. Seriously. Seriously. Stripes are massive. Holographic effects are massive. The combination is immense. And then in a cropped style as well. Standing ovation for Jonathan Saunders. Special mention to the awesome 60s gradient wallerpaper jumpsuit.

 Julien David - Spoon Print Dress
I mean. It's got spoons on it. Do I need to say more? (Yes: kitsch patterns on the runway is fun, I approve! Refer to Sugarhill Boutique for a brand that has been doing this on the highstreet for a while).

 Moncler Gamme Rouge - Beaded Swimming Costume
I get Gatsby tingles when I see this. Even though this collection looks mainly to be 60s inspired but still, you know what I mean right? I really love the cut of this costume. In this collection I also liked the shallow water print that appeared.

 Louis Vuitton - Checkered Patterns Everywhere
I really like the long, slim, pillar-like silhouettes that were featured and although brown and white may not seem like a good idea I think it works. Another modern take on 60s fashion, where straight lines are dominant, both in pattern and in shapes. Is it weird I quite like the micro top?

 Mugler - Beetle Shell Skirt
The only thing that really interested me about this collection were the black and brown skirts that made me think of woodlice and beetles...in a good way. I'm a fan of inspiration from nature (other designers of note include McQueen's bee inspired collection, but more about that in another post...).

 Saint Laurent - Sophisticated Gothic School Girl
I love everything about this dress and this collection. Black, chiffon pussy bows and flowing skirts, leather, silk, palazzo pants and capes! I need it all.

 Peter Pilotto - High Neck, Off Shoulder Dress
Another example where I wasn't too excited by the whole collection but I really like this particular dress. I like combination of the popular high neck plus the additional off shoulder section. Plus this is a great example of monochrome coming back, as well as mirror effects, which is something I've noticed a fair amount in different collections (including Viktor & Rolf).

Valentino - Floor Length Beaded Dress
Demure & elegant, full of floor length dresses in lace, silk and chiffon. The shapes are simple but convey laid-back maturity. I don't think I'm graceful enough for these gorgeous creations, but I love them regardless.
And finally special mention to these amazing hats by Philip Treacy.

So that's it for now. Look out for the aforementioned affordable alternatives post coming soon! Also, what is your favourite S/S13 designer and more importantly, why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really love to read what people have to say, so leave a comment, I'll definitely read it and always try to reply to questions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...